There is nothing quite like a fluffy, buttery stack of pancakes soaked in maple syrup for weekend brunch. While those are ok once in a while, I created a nutritious, hearty pancake recipe that serves as the perfect breakfast, any day of the week. These pancakes are vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, high in fibre, and have no added sugar, making them suitable for most dietary restrictions/allergies. Plus, they are super easy to make! Enjoy!!
- 1 cup large flake oats (to ensure gluten-free, use certified gluten free oats*)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp baking power (to ensure gluten-free, use a cornstarch or potato starch based powder)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Cinnamon to taste
Makes 4 medium-sized pancakes (as pictured):
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth (approx. 10-20 seconds). Let batter stand for a few minutes to thicken (if not thick enough, add more oats or flax)
- Spray pan with PAM or use 1 tsp vegetable or coconut oil
- Pour batter onto pan, about ¼ cup per pancake. Flip when you see bubbles. Ensure both sides are golden brown, and the batter is cooked through.
- Top with whatever you like! Examples: fruit, nut butter, pure maple syrup, coconut, cacao nibs, Greek yogurt, etc!
*Brands: Bob’s Red Mill, Nature’s Path, Avena Foods, Cream Hill Estates
Xo, Nutritious Niks