Berry Oat Quinoa Bars
I can’t believe how many people say they don’t like or eat breakfast! It is definitely my favourite meal of the day, and if I skip it, I am one cranky dietitian! However, I do get that many people overlook this meal due to a lack of time, not liking breakfast food, or not feeling hungry so early. Well, these Berry Oat Quinoa Bars are the perfect solution- they taste awesome, are easy to take on-the-go, and are filled with fibre, healthy fats, and protein to give you the energy you need to tackle your morning tasks. They are also a great snack and a sneaky way to get your kids to eat fruit! With a lower glycemic index, they help to stabilize blood sugar, leaving you feeling more satiated between meals.
They are vegan, gluten free, oil free, and have little added refined sugar, making them super nutritious and suitable for most dietary preferences!
- 1.5 cups large flake oats (ensure certified gluten free if necessary)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (2 cups water + 1 cup quinoa. Bring to a boil, then cook on medium for 15 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 2 flax eggs (1 egg= 1 tbsp ground flax mixed in 3 tbsp warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes)*
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp nut or seed butter (I used peanut butter)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups mixed berries (I used frozen, but it made the bottom of the bars a bit soggy
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9″x9″ baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, quinoa, baking powder, flax, and hemp seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix the banana, syrup, nut/seed butter, flax seeds, lemon juice, and vanilla. Pour mixture over dry ingredients, mixing everything together until fully incorporated and moist. Fold in the berries.
- Transfer batter onto baking sheet and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until bars are golden brown and firm.
- Remove and let cool. Cut into squares or rectangles. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
*Could try regular eggs if not vegan, but haven’t tested the recipe
Recipe adapted from: Simply Quinoa
Xo, Nutritious Niks