The Best Oatmeal You’ll Ever Try!
It look me a while to get into eating oatmeal for breakfast, but now the thought of it is what gets me out of bed in the morning, especially during these cold winter days. I’m not talking about instant oatmeal from a pack. I’m talking about large flake oats, the kind that are slowly digested, leaving us feeling full for longer. Starting the morning with oatmeal gives me the energy and nourishment needed to tackle my morning tasks and satisfy me until lunch time. What I love most about oats is how versatile they are! I always change up my mix-ins and toppings to keep flavours interesting and get a variety of nutrients in.
Large flake oats are still quick to prepare (< 3 minutes), or can even be prepared the night before to make overnight oats. To make overnight oats, the recipe remains the same. Just combine all ingredients (besides toppings) in a container overnight and BAM, they are ready in the morning to take on-the-go!
This particular combination makes a balanced breakfast because it contains high-fibre starch (oats), protein (seeds), healthy fats (seeds, peanut butter, coconut), a dairy alternative (almond milk), and fruit. It’s also vegan and can be gluten-free if the right oats are used!
- 1/3 cup large flake oats (dry)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp each: ground flax seed, hemp hearts, chia seeds
- lots of cinnamon
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 tbsp toasted coconut flakes
- Combine the oatmeal base in a bowl and microwave for 2 mins, 15 seconds. Stir and let sit for a few minutes to thicken. If it is still too watery for your liking, microwave for a bit longer
- Place toppings on top
So easy, so satisfying, so nutritious! Comment below what your favourite oatmeal toppings are!
Xo, Nutritious Niks