Fruit Explosion Muffins
I love a classic Tim Horton’s Fruit Explosion Muffin, but don’t love all the added sugar, fat, and refined carbohydrate that goes into making those delicious treats. So, I created this version of the muffin that is gluten-free, nut-free, and naturally sweetened, making it the ideal snack to pack in your child’s lunchbox (or bring to work!) By mixing all ingredients in the blender, it takes little time and leaves little mess in the kitchen. These muffins are a great way to sneak a little extra fruit into your child’s diet and nourish their learning minds! Healthy enough for breakfast, sweet enough for dessert, and easy to take on-the-go.
Yields: 12 muffins Cook time: 15 mins
- 2 cups large flake or old-fashioned oats (ensure certified gluten-free if needed*)
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt (0-2% fat)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup mixed frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a 12-cup standard muffin tin.
- Mix all ingredients except for the frozen berries in a blender or food processor. Blend/process on high until batter is a smooth consistency. You may need to scrape down and stir the ingredients in between.
- Fill each muffin cup evenly, filling ¾ way to the top. Place a few berries into the batter of each muffin.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool. Store in a container in the fridge.
*Bob’s Red Mill is a good brand
Xo, Nutritious Niks
(Recipe adapted from Well Plated)