Chia Oat Energy Balls
I was fortunate to receive a generous donation of single serving chia packs from Salba Chia to give to clients, hand out at wellness fairs, and promote the nutritional value of these seeds. So, I was inspired to make a recipe that incorporated chia seeds. The perfect opportunity came when my team at ONE Health Services was asked to set up a booth at a nearby Lululemon store, to talk to customers about health and wellness while promoting our services.
I have made a few variations of energy balls before, but all of them include a cashew base. I wanted to make a nut-free version so that they can be safely brought to school or work. They are gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar free, meaning almost anyone can enjoy them! They are packed with fibre, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and healthy fats. Perfect for a pre or post workout snack, to satisfy a sweet craving, or provide a little energy boost between meals.
- 2 cups rolled oats*
- 10 medjool dates, pitted and soaked
- 1/4 cup natural pumpkin seed butter**
- 2 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Optional (but highly recommended): 1/4 cup cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips
- Soak dates in hot water for a few minutes. Drain, but save the water.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all of the ingredients except the cacao nibs. You may need to stir/scrape down the blender sides a few times. If the batter isn’t blended well and moist, add a few teaspoons of the date water. Blend until well combined.
- Transfer batter into large ball. Fold in the cacao nibs.
- Roll batter into equal sized balls, using about 1 tbsp per ball.
- Stored in airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
*Ensure certified gluten free if needed
**Can use any natural nut or seed butter
Xo, Nutritious Niks