Warm King Oyster Mushroom Arugula Salad
I tried a similar salad to this at a restaurant and just had to recreate it at home! It is seriously so simple to make, yet the flavours and presentation are sure to impress! The King Oyster mushrooms are almost meaty in texture, making them a perfect substitute for Meatless Monday. This salad also contains 3/4 Canada’s Food Guide food groups (Vegetables & Fruit: arugula, mushrooms; Milk & Alternatives: pecorino cheese; Meat & Alternatives: pine nuts), making it a balanced meal on it’s own.
Ingredients: (makes 4 servings)
- 4 cups Arugula
- 2 cups King Oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- Dried rosemary, to taste
- 1 cup Pecorino cheese, shaved (can also use parmesan or asiago cheese)
- 1 cup Pine nuts, toasted*
- Balsamic vinegar
- Heat pine nuts in a frying pan over medium heat (no oil required). Consistently move nuts around with a spatula. Pine nuts are done when they are lightly brown. Set aside.
- Wash and slice mushrooms into medium-sized pieces. Heat olive oil and garlic in a frying pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with rosemary. Sautee mushrooms for a few minutes, until slightly soft and browned.
- Divide arugula evenly onto each plate. Top with portion of mushrooms, cheese, and pine nuts. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
*You can cook a whole batch of toasted pine nuts and store leftovers in the fridge. Add them to salads, pasta dishes, homemade pizza, or quinoa for a nice crunch and source of protein, healthy fat, and manganese!
Xo, Nutritious Niks